Reading - CMPS 20 - Game Design Experience
This class uses two textbooks, one to help learn the C# programming language, and the other
to learn the XNA Game Studio Express environment. They are:
The following books are considered to be classics on computer game design.
UC Santa Cruz has a number of books on game design available in the library, many with full contents available in electronic form, viewable from a Web browser at an on-campus computer.
- Patterns in Game Design, Staffan Bjork & Jussi Holopainen, Charles River Media, 2005.
- Gender Inclusive Game Design, Sheri Graner Ray, Charles River Media, 2004.
- What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy, James Paul Gee, Palgrave MacMillan, 2003.
- Game Design: The Art & Business of Creating Games, Bob Bates, Thomson Course Technology, 2004.
- Swords & Circuitry: A Designers Guide to Computer Role Playing Games, Neal Halford, Jana Halford, Prima Tech, 2001.
- Character Development and Storytelling for Games, Sheldon Lee, 2004.
There are also a number of e-books on computer game technology in the UC Santa Cruz library, including:
Last modified: 12/9/2008