Useful perl tools
BME 110: Computational Biology Tools
Setting up your laptop
Links & Resources
- Intro to Unix
- Introductory information on Unix, text editors and more.
- Windows Users: Cygwin
- Main page for downloading software to install Cygwin, a UNIX environment running under Windows
- Bill Scott's Mac OSX page
- Info, instructions and links about making Mac OSX a viable Unix platform.
- Unix on Mac OS X Tutorial
- Window users might like it too. Or try the 'Intro to Unix' link above.
- The easiest way to dowload, compile, and install X11 software on a Mac
- Apple Developer Tools
- For Mac OS X 10.2.X; requires you to create an account (free). Once you're logged in, click on 'Download Software' on the left and then 'Developer Tools'. Look for 'December 2002 Mac OS X Developer Tools. You may also need the "August 2003 gcc Updater". If you're running 10.3, install off the XTools CD that came with OS X. If you're running 10.1.X, you can get the appropriate version of the developer's tools off this site, but if you haven't installed X11, you probably don't need the developer tools (or Fink).
- Replaces ^M hidden characters with newlines
Major Sequence Databases/Bioinformatics Sites
Useful Link Pages
- GenBank, RefSeq, Pubmed, nr, OMIM, BLAST, MMDB, and lots more
- ExPASy Expert Protein Analysis System
- SwissProt, TrEMBL, ProSite
- UCSC Library Bioinformatics
- Links to electronic journals, databases, software, and more;
information on the proxy server SlugLink for remote access to UCSC-specific resources.
- NAR Database List
- Categorized list of bioinformatics databases described in the annual NAR databases issue (January)
- Rohl Lab link page
- Links to sites for protein bioinformatics